Thursday, August 6, 2009

Making waves in the non-waiver zone - a recap of the trade deadline and beyond!

Wow, if I were to post each time the Pirates made a deal last wk, my little fingers would be typed off. As expected, the Pirates traded Freddy Sanchez and Jack Wilson. What wasn't expected was the deals of John Grabrow w/ Tom Gorzelanny thrown in for good measure. At first it was a shook to my system but when I saw young Lastings Milledge was getting the pass to Pittsburgh from Indy, I'll admit I was excited.

The new, young Bucs of tomorrow today busted out of the gate w/ two sweet wins over those dreaded Nationals. Although the wins were nice, I was great to see Nyjer Morgan looking all tall socky and smiles! But soon after the pep talk from Uncle Neil wore off and the new Pirates have come crashing back to earth w/ 4 straight loses; w/ last night being the hardest to stomach.

Holding on to a 2-1 lead after the other half of My Favorite Laroche's favorite laroch; Andy clubbed himself a 2 run homer, John Russell did what all in Pirate World is screaming about today -- he pulled Jesse Chavze for consistantly inconsistant Joel Hanrahan. I bet Ross, the boss was sitting in the dugout drowning in his own sweat as he helplessly watched is 6 innings of desent pitching and Chavze's one inning of light out 3 K's go down the toilet w/ each pitch Hanrahan throw or attempted to throw. In 10 short pitches, Joel walked a batter and flubbed what appeared to be the start of a possible double play to end the inning. He finally throw the slider to induce the ground ball he wanted right back to himself but then throw the ball right towards the ground in front to 2nd instant to tossing it toward's Ronny Cedeno's glove -- which not only prevents the double play but any chance of getting an out period. That led to holy Even Meek's hapless display of clutch pitching. Meek gave up two singles enabling the D-backs to take the lead for the win. Now the only thing that would have saved our fearfull reliever would be for 2 sole homers by sweet Garrett Jones and little Andy. We almost got our wish when Jone proved why he was named the NL rookie of the month by stroking home run #12 412 ft. over onto the river walk behind right center field! If only Dwelyn Young would have had a better at bat where he would have been on base prior to Jones getting up to bat -- we may have had us a tie game. But a "W" wasn't in our cards for last night. Hopefully tonight is a bit better.

On a side note, I must say I love the season tix. holder customer service folks. Our tix. rep. is off enjoying his honeymoon so I've been dealing w/ the customer service ladies. They have hooked me up greatly! Due to me finally working another game at my beloved PNC park, we've had to switch our tix. for Saturday and decided to go tonight. Tonight section 25 (right next to the dugout) row D -- I tell ya the truth we WILL smell them and I bet they all smell like heaven!!

Also, I must give a HUGE shout out to our favorite Twin fans who last wkend payed the Burgh a visit. It's great to know that there are more of us out there. More female baseball fans who not only love to look of the game but we know the game as well! You can be female, a baseball nerd, and sexy all together! Hope you ladies enjoy your floppy fishing caps!

Oh well, I'll post pics of Jack, Freddy, and Grabow as my way of saying "Thanks for the memories" later. Until next time -- LET'S GO BUCS!

No comments:

Post a Comment